This is the only academic level 6 or 7 stand alone university accredited course in clinical hypnosis and communicative techniques in the UK.
If you are a registered healthcare professional who is seeking to improve your clinical skills through learning the theory and application of hypnosis and communication skills, this course is for you. You will learn how to develop and apply your communication and personal stress management skills whilst gaining theoretical and practical knowledge of hypnosis and related techniques. This will help you in busy clinical settings and improve and enhance your consultation skills.
When Starting 14th September 2024 part time over a year.
Location/delivery: Hybrid delivery. You can choose to be completely online or online with some face to face teaching days at Birmingham City University
Dates 2024 – 2025 (STC)
Freshers Day: Virtual for all
Sat 7th September 2024
Day 1: Virtual for all
Sat 14st September 2024
Day 2: Face to Face & Virtual
Fri 27th September 2024
Day 3: Face to Face & Virtual
Sat 28th September 2024
Day 1: Virtual for all
Sat 18th January 2025
Day 2: Virtual for all
Sat 1st Feb 2025
Day 1: Virtual for all
Saturday 5th April 2025
Day 2: Face to Face & Virtual
Friday 9th May 2025
Day 3: Face to Face & Virtual
Saturday 10th May 2025
July 2026 (TBA)
Why This Course?
“This is what I have been waiting for, for so many years.” Nurse
- Current healthcare services are under immense strain and healthcare professionals are exhausted, burnt out and often demoralised.
- Evidence tells us that communication is fundamental to health outcomes, patient experience and quality of care as well as limiting potential litigation.
- This innovative course has been developed to meet the needs of a wide range of registered healthcare professionals, where the provision of hypnosis could become or is part of your professional role.
- It aims to develop knowledge and understanding of the theory and practice of hypnotic language as a form of communication within individual specialities, particularly when working with anxious or stressed patients/clients in a medical, dental, or health/social care context.
- It will help you to develop your professional and personal communication skills.
Why Choose Us?
“I have enjoyed the last couple of days & felt the academic and practical content was very well balanced. There is a lot to learn & understand but the arena makes it safe to explore issues. I was hesitant in relation to how I could use hypnosis initially but now can foresee how I can incorporate it into my future practice.” Anaesthetist
- BSCAH has considerable experience in supporting healthcare professionals and has successfully partnered with BCU since 2016.
- The teaching team are BSCAH Accredited and are specialists within the field.
- A truly multi-disciplinary approach to teaching and learning where professional hierarchy is left at the door.
- Techniques learned on the course will positively impact on patient care while recognising the current stresses and high pressured environments.
- Graduates have the opportunity to continue their studies with BCU and to access ongoing support and CPD through joining BSCAH.
“I felt that as a professional within the NHS, the course was appropriate, full of depth and clinical relevance. The tutors showed great knowledge and ability to teach.” Dentist
Course Aims & Learning Outcomes
This course is not to train you as a hypnotherapist but to enhance and complement your skills within your specialist field as a health practitioner.
“Even though I have been using hypnosis in my own practice for years, I have learned so much in the first 2 days of the course that I have ‘come out of the closet ‘ as it were. I have a renewed confidence and am practicing hypnosis in front of colleagues now openly! I highly recommend this course….” Oncologist
The course specifically aims to enable a wide range of healthcare professionals to share their experiences in the various areas of clinical hypnosis from different perspectives, to support students to reflect on their own experiences and gain a deeper insight into applying clinical hypnosis to their practice.
This award is based upon an existing, well established and subscribed course offered to Doctors, Dental Practitioners, Dental Nurses, Psychologists, Registered Nurses, Midwives and other healthcare professionals registered with the HCPC, where the provision of hypnosis could become, or is part of their professional role. The award will be delivered by accredited members BSCAH.
The underpinning philosophy of the course will support the specialist student to blend together new learning with their existing knowledge and experience. Ultimately, the course aims to support the students to produce summative work that is highly relevant to their own professional practice and chosen clinical area to impact positively on care delivery and outcomes by utilising knowledge and skills of clinical hypnosis.
Upon successful completion of this course, you will be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge and a systematic understanding of the underpinning historical, theoretical, and ethical principles and practice of hypnosis
- Critically analyse a range of hypnosis techniques and exercises to support practical application
- To be cognisant of a range of hypnosis techniques with patients, clients and/or colleagues within the students own area of clinical practice and for personal use
- Critically evaluate processes involved in clinical hypnosis and communicate the findings to specialist and non-specialist colleagues and patients/clients
- Develop a reflective approach and awareness of listening and communication skills and its application in clinical practice
- Critically evaluate and apply best contemporary evidence-based research and theory to inform practice, appraising the benefits and limitations of clinical hypnosis
- Recognise own accountability when working with hypnosis and related techniques, adhering to codes, professional and ethical values.
- Recognise the importance of correct use of language in bringing about improved communication with patients and colleagues
- Demonstrate a safe hypnotic induction using a recognised consensual technique
- Apply established language techniques in order to effect improved outcomes.
- Exhibit in-depth knowledge and a systematic understanding of the underpinning historical, theoretical, and ethical principles and practice of hypnosis
- Critically explore and analyse a range of hypnosis techniques and exercises to support practical application
- To be highly cognisant of a range of hypnosis techniques with patients, clients and/or colleagues within the students own area of clinical practice and for personal use
- Critically reflect and evaluate processes involved in clinical hypnosis and communicate the findings to specialist and non-specialist colleagues and patients/clients
- Formulate an advanced reflective approach and awareness of listening and communication skills and its application in clinical practice
- Critically evaluate and synthesise best contemporary evidence-based research and theory to inform practice, critically appraising the benefits and limitations of clinical hypnosis.
- Critically appraise own accountability when working with hypnosis and related techniques, adhering to codes, professional and ethical values
- Critically analyse the importance of correct use of language in bringing about improved communication with patients and colleagues
- Critically apply a safe hypnotic induction using a recognised consensual technique
- Critically apply established language techniques in order to effect improved outcomes
This section explains the learning and teaching approaches, activities and experiences that your course will offer; the range of assessments and types of feedback and feed forward you will encounter and explain how these will support your continuous learning throughout the course and explain the expectations we have of you in this learning partnership.
Students enrolled on this hybrid course have the option to study purely online or online and face to face. For the online learning you will engage in synchronous and asynchronous activities, small group sessions and individual tutorials, covering scheduled 4 days over the duration of the course. You will be provided with podcasts that are delivered asynchronously, followed with opportunities to discuss these during synchronous online events. Student cohorts are limited to a number that can be realistically facilitated using MS Teams to enhance your experience and engagement with the course. You will be encouraged to have cameras and mics turned on to maximise interaction and collaborative learning. Usually there will be 4 tutors guiding the online teaching sessions. In addition to this you will attend BCU City South Campus for 4 days of face-to-face activities. This will provide you with an opportunity to meet your peers face to face. The practical elements of the course will then be delivered in a classroom environment with an opportunity to learn and experience hypnosis in a face-to-face environment. You will access the learning materials via our Virtual Learning Environment – Moodle. In addition to the scheduled teaching, you will be given directed learning activities pre and/or post classroom activities and you will be expected to undertake any reading required e.g., access to papers or guidelines. You will also be expected to spend time on your own independent study to give you the opportunity to read around subjects in more depth in preparation for assessment activity. It is expected that you fully engage with all of the resources available to you to maximise your learning opportunities. The library will play a key role in your learning journey, and you will receive both written and verbal guidance regarding accessing library resources.
The course is developed in a linear fashion with each module building upon the last whilst encouraging and supporting your continuing development as you apply your new skills to your practice, and you grow in confidence with delivery of your advanced communication skills through feedback, and suggestions for application of that feedback going forward.
The course will be assessed through a variety of methods. These will consist of a practical assessment, an essay and an opportunity to present a case from your practice to the tutors and some of your cohort. This multimodal approach will help you to develop your presentation skills as well as allowing the course team to assess your new knowledge and skills through a variety of media.
In addition, to the course leader, you will be allocated a personal tutor who will be with you throughout your journey, an important resource and the person to go to if you have concerns, issues or anything that may impact on your successful completion of the course. Each of the modules is led by a module tutor/convenor and you can discuss any specific issues regarding the module with them as required. They will brief you on the assessment/s associated with each module to ensure you are very clear of the expectations for successful completion. The course leader, module tutors and personal tutor are all available via e-mail or MS Teams. Please remember that there is very little that is insurmountable but to help we need to know what is wrong, so do talk to us so we can provide you with the necessary support.
Each module on the course consists of 200 hours of contact time and independent learning. Modules 1 & 3 consist of: Three 7 hour sessions of contact time (7hrs online and 14 hours f2f), 50 hours of directed learning, 129 hours private study. Module 2 consists of: Two 7 hour sessions of contact time (14 hours online), 50 hours of directed learning, 136 hours private study.
The content of the three modules will cover both basic theory and practical application of hypnosis and stress management with emphasis on theoretical underpinnings and targeting those areas where hypnotic approaches can be useful; such as anxiety and pain. The course will also focus on the principles and practical application of stress and anxiety management for both healthcare practitioners and patients. As the course progresses more advanced techniques for specific problems will be explored. A syllabus is available upon request: email@example.com
Entry Requirements (UK) level 6 & 7
This course is suitable for healthcare professionals who hold current professional registration with a UK recognised professional regulatory body for example the GMC; GDC; NMC, HCPC, BaDn, BACP (Accredited), BABCP (Accredited).
Applicants will need confirmation of support in their workplace for developing the necessary skills to successfully complete the course.
Students must also provide evidence of indemnity insurance for provision of hypnosis as part of their professional practice. For those students whose current professional indemnity insurance does not cover them for the practice of hypnosis (or those with Crown Indemnity), the team will signpost them to an independent provider of indemnity for the practice of hypnosis whilst on the course.
Prior to commencing the level 6 course, applicants must show evidence that they have:
- achieved 120 credits at level 4 and 120 credits at level 5 (equivalent to a Foundation Degree or Dip HE)
Applicants who have not achieved the equivalent to a Foundation Degree or Dip HE may apply to do the Advanced Diploma in Professional Studies award.
Applicants are advised to contact the Academic Development Department for advice on the appropriate entry level for them. Applicants can also discuss this with the Course Leader or Academic Advisor.
Prior to commencing the level 7 course, applicants must show evidence that they have:
- a first degree or evidence of recent professionally related study at diploma or degree level
Additionally, an IELTS score of 6.0 with no element below 5.5 or equivalent.
Paying for the course and reserving a place
“The course organisers have been fantastic in making the process of joining and starting the journey a really smooth process. A wonderful team is supporting the organisation of this course. The help offered is invaluable.” ODP
Total amount payable: £2400
A deposit £480 must be made to reserve a place. Our refund policy is available upon request.
There are two payment options available:
- Payment in full on application.
- Deposit and instalments.
Register your interest for 2024: firstname.lastname@example.org
Securing a place early in the year
Please be aware that demand is high and this annual course becomes fully subscribed quickly with places being awarded on a strictly first come first served basis. Please register your interest via email email@example.com
For further information regarding payments and refunds please email Hilary Walker E: firstname.lastname@example.org
For an application, further information or clarification please contact Hilary Walker: email@example.com
Look forward to seeing you!
Simon Barnett BDS LDSRCS AdvDipClinHyp
BSCAH Accredited member & BSCAH Programme Leader
Course Administrator: Hilary Walker E: firstname.lastname@example.org T: 07702492867